<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, October 05, 2007

Radio for you 


A friend asked me today about internet stations I listen to regularly. I thought I would post over the next couple weeks about some of these stations.

WXYC

For a long time off and on I have been surprised by the musical selections played on WXYC. WXYC 89.3 FM is the non-commercial student-run radio station of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. WXYC has a vaild claim to be the first radio station to simulcast on the Internet. WXYC is free-form. As they say and as you can plainly hear by listening "each set is put together by a DJ". Consider this playlist from the last week in September.

My favorite show they have is Inside Track which airs Mondays and Fridays 9 to 10. Inside Track plays recent releases in their entirety. The Thursday Night Feature from 9 to midnight is a three hour musical exploration of a particular theme.

Sunday mornings to mid afternoon have three interesting shows back to back. I have somewhat of an interest in traditional music. Years ago I started listening to Bluegrass which led to Old Time. From there I have gone pretty much all over the map regarding traditional music. Orange County Special takes that to heart.

Following up OCS, is Hell or Highwater which consists entirely of music from UNC's renowned Southern Folklife Collection (http://www.lib.unc.edu/mss/sfc1/). Each week a different theme takes shape. A recent broadcast presented chaingang songs recorded on location in the south.

Finally Broken Music comes on. And broken it can be. A place for "Longer and/or more difficult pieces of music that may not otherwise fit into WXYC's programming have a home here." Broken Music can cause guests to leave your home. Sometimes it sounds like my pc is on the fritz and sometimes when listening it sounds like my home is being invaded by crickets.

http://www.wxyc.org/


-jeep

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?