<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 31, 2003

I was thinking about examples of where media consolidation has skewed the news that Americans hear. This morning on my bike in to work (280 miles logged since I bought my bike pc). I rode by the RCA (Hoosier - let's not even talk about NAFTA) Dome so I could hit the main post office. Here is a stadium just 19 years old and we have had talk for at least 3 years that it isn't big enough for the Colts.

Colts Owner Jim Irsay 'say' he not make enough profit. He 'say' not enough corporate box seats. I 'say' if he want new stadium, he buy new stadium. "It must not be assumed that subsidization of sports or stadiums by the public sector is economically sound." - The Heartland Institute. Cincinnati just blew about $1 billion on their new stadiums.

Here is an example of a story that has been given limited coverage by the major news channels. "Billions in corporate welfare handed to a select few." Or "Greedy Team Owners Given Public Hand Out Worth Billions". OK, so my headlines are too long. This misuse of tax dollars effects most larger cities in America and millions of citizens, yet ABC or FOX are giving limited coverage to it because of obvious pressure from national sports organizations, sport franchises and advertisers. News conglomerates would wrongly say debate over a new stadium is a local issue. With media coming from fewer sources, a story like this is not getting the coverage it deserves.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?